NSAC Pacific Northwest Annual Meeting
Northern Quest Casino
100 N Hayford Rd
Airway Heights, WA 99001
Phone: (866) 298.1941
June 8-9, 2023!
In-Person/Virtual Options available
Join us for the Pacific Northwest Annual Meeting, where you'll be immersed in two days of compelling educational programming featuring timely and relevant topics that are not to be missed. Earn valuable CPE credits as you expand your knowledge and expertise. To keep you energized throughout the event, we will provide a delicious lunch on June 8th and a satisfying breakfast on June 9th. Mark your calendar and be prepared for a fulfilling and enriching experience at the Pacific Northwest Annual Meeting.
Presented by Troy Hawes, Moss Adams
Exploring the crucial aspects of cybersecurity in order to equip you with practical solutions to safeguard your cooperative's financial data and operations, this session will delve into the intersection of cybersecurity and accounting, with a focus on harnessing the power of artificial intelligence (AI), industry best practices, and advanced testing tools. Gain valuable insights into how AI can enhance threat detection, incident response, and vulnerability management in the cooperative sector. Discover the latest tools and techniques for testing and evaluating your cooperative's cybersecurity measures, ensuring a robust defense against cyber threats.
- Understand the unique cybersecurity challenges faced by accountants of cooperatives and the importance of proactive measures in safeguarding financial data and operations.
- Learn how artificial intelligence can be applied in the context of cooperative accounting to bolster threat detection, incident response, and vulnerability management.
- Explore industry best practices specifically relevant to cooperative accountants, including secure financial transaction processing, data protection, and risk mitigation strategies.
CPE Field of study: Information Technology
Presented by Dustin Klinger, Thede-Culpepper
This session will provide valuable insights into the evolving legal landscape surrounding cooperative organizations. Dustin will address key legal challenges, regulatory developments, and emerging trends that directly impact co-ops and help you stay informed and equipped with the latest legal knowledge to effectively navigate the complexities of cooperative governance, compliance, and operational matters.
- Gain an understanding of the current legal issues and challenges that cooperative organizations are facing in the contemporary landscape.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest regulatory developments and legal requirements applicable to cooperatives, ensuring compliance and effective governance.
- Identify emerging trends in cooperative law and explore proactive strategies to address legal risks and maximize opportunities for co-op growth and success.
CPE Field of Study: Business Law
Data Analytics Panel
Join us for a dynamic panel discussion as we delve into the realm of data analytics and its practical applications within the cooperative sector. This session will explore the tools commonly used for data analysis in cooperative organizations and shed light on how cooperative accountants can leverage these tools to enhance financial analysis, reporting, and decision-making processes. Gain valuable insights into how auditors are utilizing data analytics to improve audit efficiency, identify risks, and provide valuable insights to cooperatives. Discover best practices, real-world examples, and strategies for successfully implementing data analytics in your cooperative and collaborating effectively with your auditors.
- Understand the data analytics tools commonly used in cooperative organizations and learn how to leverage them to enhance financial analysis, reporting, and decision-making processes.
- Gain insights into how auditors are utilizing data analytics techniques to improve audit efficiency, identify risks, and provide valuable insights to cooperatives.
- Explore best practices for successfully implementing data analytics in a cooperative environment, including data governance, collaboration with auditors, and overcoming common challenges.
- Additionally, learn how to effectively interpret and communicate data-driven insights to drive strategic decision-making within your cooperative.
Field of Study: Accounting
Presented by Kelly Hardy from CLA
Kelly Hardy will focus on the latest tax updates specifically tailored for cooperatives. This session will provide a comprehensive overview of the recent tax laws, regulations, and compliance requirements affecting cooperative organizations. Furthermore, it will address key tax issues, potential opportunities, and challenges faced by cooperatives in today's dynamic tax landscape.
- Understand the recent tax laws, regulations, and compliance requirements that impact cooperative organizations, ensuring accurate and up-to-date tax compliance for your cooperative.
- Identify potential tax planning opportunities and strategies specifically relevant to cooperatives, optimizing tax benefits and minimizing tax liabilities.
- Gain insights into the unique tax challenges and considerations faced by cooperatives, such as patronage dividends, pass-through taxation, and tax-exempt status, and learn how to effectively address them in your cooperative's tax planning and reporting processes.
CPE Field of Study: Taxes
Co-op Labor, Unions, & Food Safety
Presented by Marina Lyons, Dorsey Whitney
This session will provide valuable insights into managing labor relations within cooperative organizations, including the role of unions and cooperative principles in fostering harmonious and productive work environments. Additionally, explore the importance of food safety regulations and compliance for cooperatives operating in the food industry. Gain practical knowledge and strategies to navigate labor-related financial considerations and ensure food safety protocols, contributing to the overall success and sustainability of your cooperative.
- Explore the key food safety regulations and compliance requirements applicable to cooperatives operating in the food industry.
- Gain insights into the financial considerations associated with co-op labor relations.
- Develop strategies to optimize financial practices and mitigate risks within these areas of cooperative operation.
Keep up to date with the ever-evolving A&A landscape for cooperatives in this session, with a specific focus on lease accounting and the latest updates from the Financial Accounting Standards Board. This session will provide a comprehensive overview of the new lease accounting standards and their implications for cooperative organizations. Additionally, the discussion will turn to other notable FASB updates relevant to cooperatives, offering insights into their impact on financial reporting and compliance. Gain the knowledge and tools needed to navigate these changes effectively and ensure accurate and transparent financial statements for your cooperative.
-Understand the new lease accounting standards, including ASC 842, and their specific implications for cooperative organizations. Learn how to effectively apply the standards, assess lease arrangements, and recognize lease assets and liabilities in financial statements.
- Gain insights into other notable FASB updates relevant to cooperatives, and understand their impact on financial reporting and compliance for cooperative entities.
- Develop practical strategies and best practices for implementing the lease accounting standards and other FASB updates within cooperative organizations, including ensuring proper documentation, enhancing internal controls, and effectively communicating changes to stakeholders.
Field of Study: Accounting
Join us for an engaging discussion exploring key topics crucial to the success and sustainability of cooperative organizations. This session will cover important areas such as consolidation, health insurance considerations, transition planning, and staff retention strategies. Gain valuable insights into best practices for navigating consolidation challenges, optimizing health insurance options, effectively planning for leadership transitions, and implementing strategies to attract and retain talented professionals. Walk away with practical knowledge and actionable insights to enhance practices within your cooperative.
- Understand the complexities and opportunities associated with consolidation in the cooperative sector, including financial considerations, governance structures, and legal implications.
- Develop effective transition planning strategies to ensure smooth leadership changes within your cooperative, including succession planning, knowledge transfer, and continuity measures.
- Learn staff retention strategies to attract, motivate, and retain top talent in a competitive marketplace, exploring alternative options for finding skilled professionals who align with cooperative values.
Wind down and Network: Join us at the Northern Quest Casino during the conference to not only try your luck but also expand your professional network. Enjoy the thrilling atmosphere of the casino while taking advantage of the abundant networking opportunities available. Connect with fellow conference attendees, industry experts, and potential collaborators in a relaxed and engaging environment. Don't miss this chance to make valuable connections while experiencing the excitement of the Northern Quest Casino.
$400 for NSAC members
$500 for Non-Members
Northern Quest Casino
100 N Hayford Rd
Airway Heights, WA 99001
Request NSAC Room Block to receive the discounted rate.
The National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives (NSAC) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor (#103068) of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.