NSAC Pacific Northwest Annual Meeting
Northern Quest Casino
100 N Hayford Rd
Airway Heights, WA 99001
Phone: (866) 298.1941
In-Person/Virtual Options available
Join us for the Pacific Northwest Annual Meeting, where you'll be immersed in two days of compelling educational programming featuring timely and relevant topics that are not to be missed. Earn valuable CPE credits as you expand your knowledge and expertise. To keep you energized throughout the event, we will provide a delicious lunch on June 8th and a satisfying breakfast on June 9th. Mark your calendar and be prepared for a fulfilling and enriching experience at the Pacific Northwest Annual Meeting.
THURSDAY, JUNE 8, 2023
Lunch - Kalispell Ballroom of Northern Quest Casino
1:00 PM PT
Co-op Labor, Unions, & Food Safety
Presented by Marina Lyons, Dorsey Whitney
This session will provide valuable insights into managing labor relations within cooperative organizations, including the role of unions and cooperative principles in fostering harmonious and productive work environments. Additionally, explore the importance of food safety regulations and compliance for cooperatives operating in the food industry. Gain practical knowledge and strategies to navigate labor-related financial considerations and ensure food safety protocols, contributing to the overall success and sustainability of your cooperative.
- Explore the key food safety regulations and compliance requirements applicable to cooperatives operating in the food industry.
- Gain insights into the financial considerations associated with co-op labor relations.
- Develop strategies to optimize financial practices and mitigate risks within these areas of cooperative operation.
CPE: 1.0 Credit Hour | Field of Study: Business Management & Organization
2:00 PM PT
ERC Risks and Current Developments
Presented by Erik Gillam, Aldrich Advisors
The employee retention credit has provided a financial lifeline to many businesses that faced challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. This session will provide background on eligibility for the credit and the calculation of the credit. We will take an in-depth look at what the IRS says about qualifications, as well as common misconceptions about eligibility of the ERC. Finally, the session will cover additional financial statement audit considerations related to the credit.
- Understand what is the employee retention credit, and how it is calculated.
- Discuss eligibility for the ERC and common misconceptions surrounding eligibility.
- Understand audit procedures that should be performed by a financial statement auditor related to the ERC
CPE: 1 Credit Hour | Field of Study: Auditing
3:00 - 3:15 PM PT Break
3:15 PM PT
HR Management Discussion Panel
Join us for an engaging panel discussion where experts will share insights and strategies on various critical topics affecting cooperative accountants and tax professionals. In this session, we will explore the dynamics of mergers and consolidations within the industry, providing valuable advice on successful integration, client retention, and financial implications. We will also delve into effective staff retention strategies and alternative options for finding and retaining top talent in a competitive job market. Furthermore, we will discuss the intricacies of health insurance solutions tailored to the unique needs of cooperative professionals, including cost-effective strategies and compliance considerations. Lastly, we will examine the importance of striking a balance between market experience and new hires, fostering a collaborative environment that combines skillsets and fresh perspectives for long-term success. This panel offers a holistic perspective and practical takeaways to navigate the ever-changing landscape of cooperative accounting and tax professionals.
- Understand the key strategies and considerations involved in mergers and consolidations within the accounting and tax industry, including financial implications, operational integration, and client management.
- Explore effective staff retention strategies and alternative approaches to finding and retaining talented professionals, such as creating a supportive work environment, implementing professional development programs, and offering non-traditional compensation structures.
- Evaluate the benefits and challenges of balancing market experience with new hires in the accounting and tax field, and learn how to foster a collaborative environment that encourages knowledge sharing, innovation, and the integration of fresh perspectives
CPE: 1 credit hour | Field of Study: Personnel/Human Resources
4:15 PM PT
National Update with Erik Gillam, NSAC National Vice-President
FRIDAY, JUNE 9, 2023
8:00 AM PT
8:30 AM PT
Presented by Dustin Klinger, Thede-Culpepper
This session will provide valuable insights into the evolving legal landscape surrounding cooperative organizations. Dustin will address key legal challenges, regulatory developments, and emerging trends that directly impact co-ops and help you stay informed and equipped with the latest legal knowledge to effectively navigate the complexities of cooperative governance, compliance, and operational matters.
- Gain an understanding of the current legal issues and challenges that cooperative organizations are facing in the contemporary landscape.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest regulatory developments and legal requirements applicable to cooperatives, ensuring compliance and effective governance.
- Identify emerging trends in cooperative law and explore proactive strategies to address legal risks and maximize opportunities for co-op growth and success.
CPE: 1 Credit Hour | Field of Study: Business Law
9:30 AM PT
Cyber Security, Technology, AI, best practices
Presented by Troy Hawes, Moss Adams
Exploring the crucial aspects of cybersecurity in order to equip you with practical solutions to safeguard your cooperative's financial data and operations, this session will delve into the intersection of cybersecurity and accounting, with a focus on harnessing the power of artificial intelligence (AI), industry best practices, and advanced testing tools. Gain valuable insights into how AI can enhance threat detection, incident response, and vulnerability management in the cooperative sector. Discover the latest tools and techniques for testing and evaluating your cooperative's cybersecurity measures, ensuring a robust defense against cyber threats.
- Understand the unique cybersecurity challenges faced by accountants of cooperatives and the importance of proactive measures in safeguarding financial data and operations.
- Learn how artificial intelligence can be applied in the context of cooperative accounting to bolster threat detection, incident response, and vulnerability management.
- Explore industry best practices specifically relevant to cooperative accountants, including secure financial transaction processing, data protection, and risk mitigation strategies.
CPE: 1 Credit Hour | Field of Study: Information Technology
10:30 AM PT
Presented by Kelly Hardy from CLA
Kelly Hardy will focus on the latest tax updates specifically tailored for cooperatives. This session will provide a comprehensive overview of the recent tax laws, regulations, and compliance requirements affecting cooperative organizations. Furthermore, it will address key tax issues, potential opportunities, and challenges faced by cooperatives in today's dynamic tax landscape.
- Understand the recent tax laws, regulations, and compliance requirements that impact cooperative organizations, ensuring accurate and up-to-date tax compliance for your cooperative.
- Identify potential tax planning opportunities and strategies specifically relevant to cooperatives, optimizing tax benefits and minimizing tax liabilities.
- Gain insights into the unique tax challenges and considerations faced by cooperatives, such as patronage dividends, pass-through taxation, and tax-exempt status, and learn how to effectively address them in your cooperative's tax planning and reporting processes.
CPE: 1 Credit Hour | Field of Study: Taxes
Wind down and Network: Join us at the Northern Quest Casino during the conference to not only try your luck but also expand your professional network. Enjoy the thrilling atmosphere of the casino while taking advantage of the abundant networking opportunities available. Connect with fellow conference attendees, industry experts, and potential collaborators in a relaxed and engaging environment. Don't miss this chance to make valuable connections while experiencing the excitement of the Northern Quest Casino.
$400 for NSAC members
$500 for Non-Members
Northern Quest Casino
100 N Hayford Rd
Airway Heights, WA 99001
Request NSAC Room Block to receive the discounted rate.
The National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives (NSAC) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor (#103068) of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.